Saturday, November 22, 2008

Bare Beaver Weekend

Last weekend was a Bare Beaver weekend. Sis and Mike came down for a long weekend and we had the greatest time. I didn't get nearly enough pictures but it was so great to have them in. We packed in as much as we could. We picked up Karla and Mike at the airport this past Friday and then cruised on over to Maddi's Southern Bistro for their 30th Wedding Anniversary. I forgot my camera so no pics there. I feel compelled to make a comment though of just how much I miss the freedom of being able to wait at the gate for loved ones to depart the plane. I miss the joy of finally seeing the faces of the ones you are anxiously waiting for with great anticipation. Of the feeling you get when you finally see their shining eyes and everyone is smiling like a fool. And then the hugs and backslapping that begin when you are finally in each other's bubble at last. OK, so I got a little sidetracked. Back to the story of the Bare Beaver weekend. Sunday, we went to Raleigh to the RBC Center to see the Carolina Hurricanes play. We went to eat first and then to the game. See pics below!

Getting ready for the trip to Raleigh. Was Karla dancing? :)
Ready to go!

Eating at Applebees in Raleigh. The company was so much better than the food or the service!
Me thinks Mike just saw his food! Uh, ewww!

Awwwww! Aren't they cute!

Getting yet more food at the game! Game food is so good!

We had great seats!

And now, the game!

Playing Tampa Bay. Go Canes!

We won in the second overtime shootout! It was awesome!

Departing!

On Monday, we had our family business meeting. Dean took a half day off work and came home to meet with our new Edward Jones, Financial Advisor. Mike of course! We were very impressed by his presentation and he is taking very good care of us. We take great comfort in knowing that Mike is now watching over our financial portfolio.

The visit was bittersweet. The sweet part being that they are actually here in person and the sad part is that when they are here, you start imagining what it would be like to live in the same neighborhood (heck, even in the same state) - to be able to stop in at Sis' house and have a hot cup of tea with her. Of our families getting together on the weekend to grill steaks. Of chilling out on the back deck around the fire and chatting, joking and laughing about anything and everything. Even of sis and I going Christmas shopping together and then stopping at Starbucks for a hot drink. Then we go home to our cute little Craftsman-style houses and sit on our front porches and look at each other because our houses are next door to each other (or you could come to my house for Taco Night - inside joke, lol). Well, I can dream, can't I! Maybe someday. Sigh.....

5 comments:

About said...

What is my mom knocking on in the picture? You have a lot of pictures with her in the middle of motions. :)

Michael

Anonymous said...

I'll pass on the taco tyvm ! The title of this blog sounds like a porn convention. Ha!
It WAS a great weekend, wasn't it? Yes, it flew by but hey, it always does. We could spend 2 weeks together and it would seem like a couple of days :) I already miss you guys!
Hope you're having a fun and relaxing Thanksgiving day. We're celebrating tomorrow. Brian arrived yesterday and Michael, Leah and the kiddos arrive tonight. Well, back to cooking and baking. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Your new and "mighty handsome" Edward Jones FA. Ha! (just couldn't pass up on an opportunity to embarrass him :)

Anonymous said...

We couldn't get the Colbert clip to work when we tried it yesterday. I noticed that you moved it off of the right margin. Maybe its working now. Brian went to another site and pulled the Campbell soup stock clip. Hilarious. We were all cracking up. Your FA thanks you :)

Anonymous said...

I see you're still advertising your porn weekend...ha

Western Carolina Band Competition

Colbert - God Battle

Colbert Report - The Hummer

(Warning: this clip has some language in it). This is funny because so many people in our neighborhood and area drive Hummers. But unlike this clip, people in our area do not take them offroad - like in the movie "Cars"! I'm sure people curl their lips in disdain when we drive by in our Hyundai and our Ford! :)