Sunday, July 13, 2008

First Day of Vacation


Saturday, we left for Topsail Island on the North Carolina coast. I think we've gone to the beach just about every year that Dean and I have been married but this time was different for some reason. I felt like a small child that was waiting to receive a much sought-after present. Finally, we were in the car, cruising down the highway toward the emerald coast. We had two passengers in the backseat - Kaitlin and Caitlin (Kaitlin's best friend). I was impatient to arrive but had to settle back because we had about 5 1/2 hours to get there. I had a really handsome chauffeur to keep me distracted on the way though!

We arrived yesterday at about 3:00 pm and completed all the tedious but necessary tasks that a newcomer to the beach has to complete. We checked in, unpacked and went grocery shopping in an extremely crowded grocery store with cranky shoppers who didn't like to shop with so many people in the aisles. And crowded because it's the only grocery store on the island and because it was Saturday - check in day for most vacationers.

But today is Sunday, our first real vacation day. I awoke at 5:30 because that's when Dean got up and brewed a pot of coffee and then got his fishing gear reading to go. I couldn't go back to sleep so got up with Dean to drink some coffee with him and watch him get ready to go down to the surf to see if he could entice some fish to nibble on his bait shrimp. I mean, who wouldn't like some smelly, dead shrimp for breakfast right!


The morning was beautiful and the pier is really close. The shrimp boats were already out fishing and so was my hubbie!



The weather is wonderful. The breeze is constantly blowing and carries away the hot July air with it. Ahhhhhhhh! Wish you were here sis. I'm going down to the beach after awhile - with my umbrella, chair and a good book. The rest of you...well, you're on your own! See ya! I'm in my own little world.

2 comments:

beav said...

Wow. Your new camera takes really good pics.

Ah yes...beach life...I love it.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, I think my blood pressure went down 10 points just looking at your pictures....

Western Carolina Band Competition

Colbert - God Battle

Colbert Report - The Hummer

(Warning: this clip has some language in it). This is funny because so many people in our neighborhood and area drive Hummers. But unlike this clip, people in our area do not take them offroad - like in the movie "Cars"! I'm sure people curl their lips in disdain when we drive by in our Hyundai and our Ford! :)