Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tuesday at Topsail

Today, the Bare Boys should be very very jealous. Dean caught over ten blues this morning. He said he quit counting after ten! Too bad Michael or Bryan weren't here to help catch and clean them. Dean always throws them back but if the Bare Boys were here, we certainly could have had a huge family fish fry (mainly because we would have someone willing to clean them)! I used to clean any fish that Dean caught but I just don't do it anymore. Dean loves that the pier is so close to our house. Only one house separates us from it and Dean can just walk over whenever he needs bait or fishing lures, etc. Convenient!

Another thing that is always fun to watch every morning is the dolphin frolicking in the surf on their way up and down the coast every day. I've been unable to catch a picture of them so far though. Hey, you know how people always used to say "catch it on film"? What do they say now? "Catch it digitally"? Ponder....ponder.

Also, the shrimping boats were out again today. They were actually pretty close to shore this morning. Yum! I would like to have some of that fresh shrimp. Hmmm, I wonder how much it costs the boat owner in gas to fish now?

Oh, and by the way, this is the view from our bedroom balcony (back of the house). Nobody is on top of us - pretty, huh!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael and Brian are both out of town right now but when they get back, I'm going to have to direct them to the post of Dean catching so many fish. Yes, Michael will be totally jealous. Brian isn't into fishing that much but he would be taking advantage of that beach chair - big time! I'm going to rub in Dean's great catch, when Papa Bare gets home from work today. Now HE will be totally envious since he's the huge fisherman in our family.
It's interesting to read that you are not catching the dolphins in any of your pictures. We had dinner with a friend this past week and he was telling us of a whale watching trip that he went on while visiting his brother in California. He said that he was disappointed that he didn't get any whales in any of his pictures that he took but when he started enlarging some of the pictures because of the beautiful ocean shots, guess what was in the pictures? Whales! He enlarged more pictures and more whales. They just were not showing up in the regular size pictures. So, you might have a surprise waiting for you when you get home if you start playing with different picture sizes. Hopefully, you'll discover a dolphin or two :)
So happy to see and read that you are all having such a great time!

NoCheezburgers said...

Yes, we are having a really nice and relaxing vacation. Tell Mike that Dean is not exagerating on the number of his catch. He said that if he had been in a boat, they would have been jumping into it!

We are getting ready to eat some supper. Gonna grill some burgers, fry some okra, bake some mac&cheese, cook some tater tots for the teens and cut up some cantalope. We'll catch you later. You will have to email me and let me know what you all did for your birthday and where Michael and Brian are right now.

About said...

Brian wouldn't give a crap, cuz he hates fishing, but I would totally catch and clean...for a very reasonable fee, too...:)

I doubt dad is a bigger fisherman than me at this point, either. I think we're even.

Anonymous said...

You're ahead in heart and also in your "first born brain". Speaking of crap, you were home pooping in your diaper while dad was out on Lake Erie catching the almighty Walleye. Now THAT was good eating! When you were on the boat, because you were small, you and your brother would fall fast asleep on deck in your little life vests. (but I'm sure you were dreaming about catching 100 walleye) Maybe you can do what Brian does every few years. He challenges dad to a physical "take down" because he thinks he's "finally" stronger than dad. You could challenge dad to a fish "take down" to see if you can outfish your dad.
We can do some local sights that won't officially count so you two can warm up and then we'll meet at the ocean for the BIG FISH OFF. I know you'd like to be King Fisherman but I think dad has some technique in him that has the potential to leave you stuggling to keep up dude....:) Remember, he taught you how to fish.
Oh yeah, the Bare's are talkin' trash...
...and Michael is serious about the fish cleaning charge - as he's entering his last semester of law school, I would consider him a bona fide poor law school student. Pretty soon he's going to start going through the neighborhoods at night, fishing through trash, looking for scrap metal to hock. (oh no, I gave him an idea)
Hey, fishing through trash. That's it. We have determined the local warm up sights for Mike and Michael to fish. Ha!
Scrap metal proceeds go to the wives for a trip to Target :)

Western Carolina Band Competition

Colbert - God Battle

Colbert Report - The Hummer

(Warning: this clip has some language in it). This is funny because so many people in our neighborhood and area drive Hummers. But unlike this clip, people in our area do not take them offroad - like in the movie "Cars"! I'm sure people curl their lips in disdain when we drive by in our Hyundai and our Ford! :)