
Sis, I forgot to tell you that Dean took me to see the newest Batman movie on Monday (although he argues that it really isn't a Batman movie - it is The Dark Knight and a Joker movie). Pffff! It is a BATMAN movie although I still think that, at the end, the Joker actually DID win even though they finally caught him (a point on which Dean also disagrees). Heath
Ledger was genius at playing the truly twisted psycho. I actually cringed every time he uttered the words "Why so serious?". Another part that I think Heath played exceedingly well was when he was being beaten to a pulp while he was in jail. He played the part so genuinely that I really believed that he didn't give a crap that he was being beaten within an inch of his life or even if he lived or died. Excellent acting on his part! I
also jumped 3 or 4 times during the movie - especially when the fake, dead Batman hit against the outside window. One thing that bugged me though was the way Batman spoke sometimes in the movie. I know it was supposed to be sort of a raspy voice (I guess to disguise his voice) but a lot of the time it sounded like he had a lisp. Not cool Batman! I would like to see it again but won't pay the money to actually go to the theater again. I will wait until it goes to video or cable. Sis, I know you guys really like Batman too so let me know what you thought of the movie!
I am sorry to say that the baby bluebirds have flown the coop. We were gone for a week and so didn't have a very long time-frame to get pics of them. The pic of the daddy bluebird feeding the baby was only a day before the babies vacated the nest. I'm just happy to know that there are a few more beautiful Bluebirds in the world now! I usually keep a log or daily diary of the nesting site but I just didn't get it this time nor did I keep the log.
















13 comments:
Christian Bale has a lisp in real life. Remember, Batman is not a super hero in the sense that he has super powers. He's a messed up rich guy that is using his resources and vast array of gadgets to fight evil.
So, he's a rich guy, dressed in a bat suit to disguise himself so he can continue on his quest to kick butt. The fact that the actor's lisp leaks out here and there just shows his humanness. Bale is a great actor and plays tormented human beings pretty well too (The Machinist)
I'll write more later.
Yes, this movie did bring out his humaness, especially when he took off his bat suit and you saw all the wounds on his body - including him sewing up his latest one. Batman with a lisp? Still not cool.
I haven't seen The Machinist.
I didn't notice the lisp as much when he was doing the "batman" voice. I noticed it more when he was just talking normally but I looked past it 'cause it was too good of a movie to concentrate on his lisp.
Yeah, I was gonna say...he had it in the first movie too. Doesn't bother me.
M
Ledger's lip-smacking in every scene drove me crazy after awhile. Maybe that's why Bale's lisp paled in comparison:)
I just read that the original Batman character, when confronting his first group of villains, scares them with his voice to the point that they comment, "when did you start growling?" I like the Batman growl. He obviously wouldn't be able to disguise his identity very well if he continued with his Northeastern rich boy accent.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Harvey Dent would have figured it out pretty quick, meeting and talking with both.
I don't know which would be better, to have Batman have his own voice to transform into something darker and scarier with each new movie or to have Bruce Wayne installing a voice changer in a new Batsuit that scares the weebie jeebies out of everyone.
Batman didn't just disguise his voice with tone but with what he actually said.
Don't remember actual word for word phrases but an example would be: Bruce Wayne - "I am going to come after you>"
Batman - "I'm comin' after you"
I would rather the producers of Batman put their energies into little details like that which make the movies fun rather than their own biased commentary infused throughout the movie. I want a break from the "campaign season" when I'm sitting in a movie theater with my popcorn and Coke.
The lip-licking and head-shaking is sort of the Joker's trademark. He always did it in the really old Batman shows. I thought Ledger did it really well and made the Joker seem even more surreal.
See - that's the thing! Batman's disguised raspy voice is cool and supposed to be scary. I like that. But how can it be scary when he is lisping? Just my opinion.
His lip smacking was over-the-top gross for me. Of course, it probably fits the role of a vile, degenerate who can't remember the last time he brushed his teeth but just the same, it was irritating!
As for Batman's lisp. If you were a criminal and you knew this Bat guy had a history of being a little unstable and this same guy lands in front of you in his batsuit, eyes seething, expensive state of the art gadgets ready to take you out any second and you think the fact that he has a slight lisp behind his growly voice is going to make a difference in how scary he is going to be?
The original Batman supposedly took criminals to his cave of bats and terrified them. A guy who hangs out in caves with bats. Lisp or no lisp, this guy is SCARY!
If you keep in mind who the original Batman was, it makes him even more scary.
The current Batman is still a cleaned up version because the original DID kill people.
Maybe that's a turn that a future movie can take.
The movie didn't live up to the hype. It was too long and at times, I "rested" my eyes. The Joker's greasy hair looked like Ledger's did most of the time when he was on his own, away from his Hollywood handlers. I think Ledger had a little of crazy in him anyhow, so the Joker character wasn't much of a stretch. The guy definitely had problems. Anyone that has an adorable daughter and you're staying at a hotel with your "family" and you go down a floor or two to hang out with people at a drug party while you know your baby daughter is upstairs, well,that's someone with some issues.
Bale in real life has a history of being like a keg ready to blow (was anyone shocked with the alleged assault story of his mom and sister - even if it isn't true, when you get a reputation for being a hothead, you invite this kind of speculation) Bale can bring those crazy, steely looking eyes to the Batman movie set and probably scare the crew while he's lisping all over he place. They will just think his spitting all over everyone is a human version of a rabid dog.... I think they could have done better with this movie. I thought the supporting actors made the movie bearable. Without the presence of some of those veteran actors, the movie would have been even more boring.
The fact that everyone has to keep referring to the original Batman just shows that there's not enough to talk about in regard to the Dark Knight movie.
Movies are ruined when they get sidetracked by (and they could be well-meaning)people putting to much of their energy into preaching to the audience instead of using their talent to produce a well written, fully developed story that can be used by their solid cast of actors.
I probably could care less if it weren't for all of the Oscar buzz for this movie. Oscar worthy? Hardly.
An above average summer action flick. I can go for that...
Delete "Sis" in your post or the blog police will accuse you of using your blog as a form of email.
Hurry, before they catch you.
I used "Sis" because you are usually the only one reading my blog so it has turned into more of a "keep up with family" document more than a real blog.
OK, since you are using "what ifs", if I was the Joker I would laugh in Batman's face when he was trying to be scary and then lisped. Sorry, no swaying me there.
Maybe Dean is right. Maybe it IS more of a Joker movie than a true Batman movie. No matter what Ledger was like in real life - he still played an excellent demented Joker - lick-lipping and all. He scared me much more than Batman ever did. *smack smack smack*
That's why I think the movie was weak. Batman is supposed to be scary. He didn't scare me or creep me out at all in this movie. The concept of Batman being kind of creepy comes from the intent of the originator of the character. I get caught up in what Batman was created to be like and try to imagine that while watching a current movie. Dark Knight didn't do it for me though. Batman's butler was more entertaining.
Ditto. To me there was no mystique this time and certainly not scary. I like it when he is scary! I liked him in previous movies when he would scare the crap out of the bad guys. It seemed the other way around this time.
I will still watch it again but not in the theater.
Same here.
I'll be more comfortable watching it and falling asleep on my sofa rather than trying to keep my head from bobbing around in the movie theater.
Post a Comment